SRI KONDA LAXMAN TELANGANA STATE HORTICULTURAL UNIVERSITY, RAJENDRANAGAR, HYDERABAD - 500030
Recognizing the importance of Horticulture and its growth potential in Telangana, Government of Telangana while adopting the Dr YSR Horticultural University Act (Act No. 30 of 2007) to the State of Telangana established Sri Konda Laxman Telangana State Horticultural University, with head quarters T Rajendranagar, Hyderabad, and the university started functioning w.e.f. 23 Dec. 2004.
The university has 2 Horticultural Polytechnics and 2 Horticultural Colleges with students intake of 424 no. In under-graduate programme, 48 students in Post-graduate programme, 16 students in Ph.D. and 100 students in Polytechnics. Apart, ICAR (JRF/SRF) students from different parts of the country are also pursuing their degree programme in the university. The university also have 11 Research stations and 1 KVK in the state looking after horticulture research and extension.
The university has mandate for education, Research and Extension related to Horticulture and allied subjects.
• To train man power through imparting education organizers refresher courses and training programmes to Horticultural programmes to Horticultural Officers and stake holders of state.
• Conducts need based location specific problem solving, farmer and industry friendly new technologies. Universities also address the existing problems of the farming community and collaborate with national and international organizations. Refine and generate technologies for production processing, value addition and marketing and international trade of Horticulture produce and products.
• Organize Extension programmes at village level and training programme to field staff and line departments.
SKLTSHU erstwhile in the reigns of parent university Dr YSRHU, apart from imparting education, the 11 Research Stations located in Telangana State in the past and present are conducting basic location specific problem solving and applied Research for overall development of Horticultural crops in the state of Telangana.
Presently the contributions and achievements in the field of Education, Research and Extension are as follows:
• The Fruit Research Station, Sangareddy, Medak District is the oldest Research Station, stand second in the country in terms of maintenance of Mango, Guava, Custard apple germ-plasm.
• Developed high density planting systems (HDPS) for Mango and Guava.
• Developed e-solution for horticulture - ICAT platform for real time solution to the problems of farmers for 4 major Horticultural crops i.e., Mango, Banana, Chilli and Tomato.
• Acquisition of germ-plasm in vegetable crops and maintaining them at Vegetable Research Station, Rajendrangar for development of new varieties.
• KVK, Ramagirikhilla, has conducted 8 trainings, 5 field level demonstrations, 8 method demonstrations and 26 diagnostic visits on different Horticultural and Agricultural aspects in 2015-16.
• Disseminated need based technical information through print media and electric media and organized Kisan melas, exhibitions and Rythu sadassu for the benefit of farm clientele.
• KVK, Ramagirikhilla, Karimnagar District is yeoman service in disseminating the horticulture and allied technologies, to the farm clientele.