6th Brainstorming Session
Dates: 11-12th July 2014
Place: Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Mumbai
Theme: Challenges before NARS in National Food Production
Major Recommendations of the Conference
- Indian Agriculture should aim at market-specific, export-oriented crop production and value addition for increased market share.
- Efforts should be made to bridge the gap between yield potential and actual yield realized on the farm.
- Integrated farming system should be adopted in drylands.
- Technology should be developed to cultivate onion in rain-fed/low-irrigation conditions and throughout the year.
- Green fodder production should be increased, utilizing common property resources. Fodder- seed production should be brought under national seed chain.
- Use of modern biotechnological interventions like embryo transfer, IVF, ovum pick-up, cloning etc. should be adopted for faster multiplication of elite cows and buffaloes.
- Greater policy focus, private investment in mariculture, deep sea fishing and community based management are essential to sustain marine fish production.
- Quality seed availability, effective diseases management, and quality assurance should be ensured to sustain the growth of aquaculture sector.